“Can’t beat fresh, in season, asparagus. Freezes well for cooler days ahead.”
2 lbs green asparagus
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
5-6 cups chicken broth (low salt)
(Opt: 1/2 cup cream or milk if creamier soup desired)
2 tbsp. Butter
1/2 tsp. Lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and remove tough ends of asparagus. Cut in 1/2 inch pieces.
- Sauté onion & garlic until fragrant. Add asparagus with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring, 5 minutes
- Add 4 cups broth and simmer covered until asparagus is tender (15-20 min).
- Cool. Remove cooked spears.
- Purée batches in blender. Return blended vegetables to the saucepan, add remaining broth, butter & cream/milk if using. Stir in lemon juice.
- Heat on low, stirring so it does not burn. Add spears and serve.
- Freezes well if there is any leftover.
Calories: 67 Total Carbs: 5.9g
Total fat: 2.7g Fibre: 2.6g
Cholesterol: 0.4mg Sugars: 3g
Sodium: 480mg Protein: 5.7g